Sunday, July 8, 2012

Soaking her in - The first day back at the hotel.

Leaving the care center with the baby was crazy. It really happened after all these years. We were all smiles for the ride to the hotel. Asawmenu even played us some rockin Journey songs to add to the excitement. We took turns with her on our lap (yep, no car seats in Ethiopia). Ryan insisted that we record most of the ride which I'm sure will be so bumpy and make everyone dizzy, but he just wanted this moment to be captured. Sweet.

Inside our hotel room, we all layed on the bed and played. Jessa already loves to look right unto our eyes. She showed us how she can roll over and gave us lots of big smiles. The best part was when Ryan tickled her and she let out a huge belly laugh. All this was wearing her out so she fell asleep peacefully next to us on the bed. Ryan promptly fell asleep,too, but I couldnt take my eyes off of her. She only slept dor about 20minutes then woke up without making a peep. I had not been able to get her to take a bottle earlier, so I tried again and she did great -again looking into my eyes as she ate.

Ryan could not peel open his eyelids so Jessa and I went down to the lobby. It was pretty quiet so it was the perfect time to just absorb her. She was so peaceful. She easily nozzled her head on my shoulder. She poked at my nose and eyes. She tugged on my hair? She squeezed my fingers. It really was the best way to get to know each other. So far she has been all peace and happiness, and calm. She only cried once later during the night when Ryan had to use the bulb syringe to clear out her stuffy nose. She hasn't cried when she's hungry or tired or overwhelmed by all this change. Makes for a sweet first day. But I am watching for More subtle signs of her expressing her needs to us. Instead of cries, I notice things like short quiet squawks and a scrunched up face. Sometimes she turns away when she needs a break. Little things that a momma should respond to when her baby hasn't had a momma to notice before.

Laterback in the room with Daddy awake, we played some more until bedtime. She drifted off to sleep in the crib without a sound, except for the sucking on her fingers. She slept. We slept. We woke up at 1am. Checked facebook and email. Ryan got up at 2 and she was awake. Quiet as could be. So we got her up and played and did the bulb syringe, gave her a bottle, laid her on her tummy between us on the bed and she peacefully went back to sleep. Hmmmm. If only I could do the same.

We finished our first day together in awe of this Gift (which many Ethiopians remind us is what Sitota means in Amharic). We know that we are so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment